MINDEMOYA—Ben and Crystal Lentir replaced the cedar shingles on the front roof of the log cabin at the Pioneer Museum in Mindemoya recently, finishing just in time for the Open House held on the last Sunday in September.
It’s not an easy task, especially on a steep roof, but the Lentirs have worked with cedar shingles many times. In fact, the last time was a few weeks ago, putting new cedar shingle siding on their house. “You have to take care not to put weight on them or they could crack. And the gap between the shingles has to be just right so after it rains the air will flow in to dry the surrounding shingles,” explained Ms. Lentir.
The log cabin was originally built by William and Agnes King in 1874, shortly after they moved to Manitoulin Island. In the early 1900s it was moved to Lake Mindemoya where the Brookwood Brae Golf Course is located. Jack and Marion Seabrook lived in it as a summer cottage from 1960 to 1963. In 1993 they donated it to the Central Manitoulin Historical Society and it was moved to the Pioneer Museum grounds in Mindemoya. The logs have lasted 140 years. The new cedar shingles will prevent leaks and help preserve the cabin for many more, a part of our heritage for everyone to enjoy.