Full-Time Legal Assistant
KINA Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services
Full Time – Permanent
Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services (KGCFS) is a designated Child Welfare Service delivering Child Protection Services within seven member First Nations in the Districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin. KGCFS honours and supports our families’ and community’s inherent authority to care for their children based on unity, traditions, values, beliefs and customs
All qualified candidates are invited to apply by submitting an application consisting of: a resume detailing your education, work experience, cultural participation and volunteerism for the position of:
LEGAL ASSISTANT – SUDBURY
Salary Range: $55,200 – $68,839
The Legal Assistant is responsible to coordinate the provision of legal services as directed by Agency Legal Counsel. The Legal Assistant will support the coordination of agency legal services by preparing relevant legal documentation and correspondence. The successful candidate will conduct legal research, assisting with trial preparation along with service and filing of court documents.
Education & Experience
- Law Clerk, Legal Assistant or Paralegal Diploma;
- Minimum two years’ work experience in a legal capacity;
- Ability to speak the Anishinaabe language a definite asset.
Knowledge & Skills
- Knowledge of the Child and Family Services Act, the Children’s Law Reform Act, the Family Law Rules, other relevant legislation, regulations, Ministry standards, and agency policies and procedures;
- A thorough understanding of the agency’s values, service philosophy and objectives;
- Knowledge, respect and practice of the Anishinaabe culture; understanding of cultural competencies;
- Demonstrated understanding of and commitment to, the integration of principles of: equity, justice, non-discrimination and accessibility into practice, service delivery and team relationships;
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, Frontline, CIMS and Penlieu;
- Must be able to work flexible hours;
- Must have a valid driver’s license and possess own vehicle;
- Must be willing to authorize a “Vulnerable Sector Screen and Criminal Record Search”; and, sign an “Oath of Confidentiality”;
- Must have firm understanding of the functioning and dynamics of Anishinaabe families and child care principles;
- Ablility to speak Anishinabemowin is a definite asset; or be willing to learn;
- Must be willing to participate in cultural activities, events and Circles for the acquisition of cultural competence.
The traditional practices of the Anishinabek will expose staff to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, also known as smudging; this includes the burning of tobacco, sweet grass, sage and/or cedar.
DEADLINE: OCTOBER 28, 2019 AT 2:00 PM
Please submit your application marked “Confidential – Legal Assistant”.
Include in your application a cover letter, resume, and (3) three reference letters – two (2) of which must be employment related from recent employers. Please also detail in your application: education, employment experience, cultural participation and volunteerism.
Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at
www.kgcfs.org/employment to review the full job description.
Please also refer to our website for instructions on submitting your Application.
Applications are accepted by the deadline date via regular mail, in person or email at:
Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services
Main Office – 98 Pottawatomi Avenue,
Wikwemikong, Ontario P0P 2J0
Note: Please mark Legal Assistant in the address line of your email and submit attachments as per website Instructions.
KGCFS is based on a highly specialized approach to the delivery of child welfare in our area. Preference will be given to Anishinaabe candidates (please self-identify). Miigwech for your application, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, the successful candidates will be required to submit the following: satisfactory Criminal Reference Check, Vulnerable Sector Check and Driver’s Abstract.
144 total views, 3 today