Contract Indigenous Foods Coordinator
NOOJMOWIN TEG HEALTH CENTRE
INDIGENOUS FOODS COORDINATOR
6-month contract for Maternity Leave
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre is inviting applications for the Indigenous Foods Coordinator for a six month contract position. Under general direction, the Indigenous Foods Coordinator develops plans, and implements traditional foods sessions to Indigenous community members within the Manitoulin District, and generally enhances nutritional knowledge to partnering health care providers. The Indigenous Foods Sovereignty program complements the Manitoulin Community Fresh Food Initiative (MCFFI). The successful applicant will work under the direction of the MCFFI Project Manager and Executive Director.
The Indigenous Foods Coordinator will assist the MCFFI Project Manager in developing and coordinating sessions pertaining to traditional food sources, including foraging wild edibles, harvesting forest and freshwater foods and will engage First Nation community members in traditional healthy eating through a marking and promotions strategy. In addition, the Coordinator will build upon existing, and develop new, partnerships, working collaboratively with various partners to enhance program content ensuring materials and processes are culturally appropriate. The Coordinator will assist the MCFFI Project Manager with other MCFFI program duties as required.
Given the traditional practices of the Ansihinabek, from time to time, exposure to wood smoke and the burning of sacred medicines, including tobacco, sweet grass, sage or cedar, may occur within the work setting.
Requirements of the Position:
- Minimum two year diploma in Food and Nutrition Management or related field
- One to three years’ previous experience working within food and nutrition management
- One to three years’ previous experience providing group facilitation
- Current CPR C and First Aid Certification
- Valid Class G driver’s license and have access to a vehicle
- Experience working in First Nation communities
- Knowledge of traditional teachings related to food and medicines
- Knowledge of the First Nation communities of Manitoulin Island
- Knowledge of the nutritional services within the Manitoulin Island catchment area
- Knowledge of First Nation health issues
- Understanding and sensitivity for the Anishinabe culture
- Experience working within an electronic medical records environment
Submit a covering letter, resume, three (3) work related letters of reference, a current criminal records check. Please mark correspondence as “Confidential”. Submissions will be accepted by mail, facsimile, or email.
Application Deadline: December 10, 2018 at 12 noon
Human Resources Phone: (705) 368-2182 ext. 235
Noojmowin Teg Health Centre Fax: (705) 368-2229
Postal Bag 2002, Hwy. 540 Email: email@example.com 48 Hillside Road., Aundeck Omni Kaning First Nation Web-site: www.noojmowin-teg.ca
Little Current, ON P0P 1K0
We thank all for their interest and applications; however,
only those under consideration will be contacted.
63 total views, 1 today