Full-Time Housing Support Worker
Kina Gbezhgomi Child
and Family Services (KGCFS)
HOUSING SUPPORT WORKER
Contract to March 2019 Full-Time – Possibility of extension pending funding approval
Internal and External Posting.
Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services (KGCFS) is a designated Children`s Aid Society delivering Child Protection Services within seven member First Nations in the Districts of Sudbury and Manitoulin. KGCFS honours and supports our families’ and communities’ inherent authority to care for their children based on unity, traditions, values, beliefs and customs.
Reporting to the Service Supervisor, the Housing Support Worker (HSW) is primarily responsible for providing housing support to youth by locating and sustaining long-term housing for youth aged 16 to 17 years of age who are in a Voluntary Services Agreement (VYSA) and other care agreements. The Housing Support Worker will participate in case planning and wrap around service delivery to youth in transition. The Housing Support Worker will work in a professionally and culturally appropriate manner that is consistent with and cognizant of the KGCFS philosophy and local Anishinabek customs and traditions.
- Must have a minimum accredited college diploma in the Social Services field, or related diploma deemed appropriate.
- Must have two (2) years’ work experience in the delivery of social service programming targeting youth and families, preferably within an Anishinaabe community and/or organization.
- Proven work experience with vulnerable persons, youth in particular, and knowledge of victims’ issues surrounding and relating to housing.
- Demonstrated experience in client advocacy with providing services to Anishinabek Youth and communities.
- Traditionally earned learning through hands-on experience about Indigenous cultural beliefs, values, customs, traditions, healing ways, ceremonies, and protocols.
- Life experience and knowledge of and sensitivity to values, beliefs, and needs of the Anishinaabe community.
- Working knowledge of community resources, programs and services (Ontario Works, Ontario Disability Support Program, Post-Secondary School Programs) along with the application and referral processes.
- Knowledge of at-risk youth-related issues, such as addictions, human trafficking, sexual orientation/identity, peer/social culture, human development, violence, teen pregnancy and gangs.
- Knowledge and understanding of flexible, diverse, traditional and non-traditional support, advocacy and intervention processes.
- Knowledge and understanding of harm reduction philosophy and working strategies.
- Knowledge and understanding of the Child, Youth and Family Services Act, 2017, the Mental Health Act and other relevant legislation.
- Must be able to work flexible hours, possess own vehicle, valid class G driver’s license, proof of vehicle insurance and travel as required.
- Ability to speak Anishinaabemowin is a definite asset.
Deadline: December 10, 2018 at 2:00 pm
Applicants are encouraged to visit our website at www.kgcfs.org/employment to review the full job description.
KGCFS offers competitive wages, a generous benefit package and OMERS pension plan.
Please submit your application marked “Confidential –Housing Support Worker, Sudbury Office”. Include in your application a cover letter, resume, and (3) three reference letters – two (2) employment related from recent employers. Please also detail in your application: education, employment experience, cultural participation and volunteerism.
Applications are accepted by the deadline date via regular mail, in person or email at:
Kina Gbezhgomi Child and Family Services
Main Office – 98 Pottawatomi Avenue,
Wikwemikong, Ontario P0P 2J0
KGCFS services is based on a highly specialized approach to the delivery of child welfare in our area. Preference will be given to Anishinaabe candidates (please self-identify). Miigwech for your application, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. As a condition of employment, the successful candidates will be required to submit the following: satisfactory Criminal Reference Check (within 3 months of deadline date), Vulnerable Sector Check and Driver’s Abstract.
140 total views, 1 today