- UCCM Anishnaabe Police service return to police Sheguiandah First Nation
- OPP charge Gore Bay man with child pornography offences
- Manitoulin groups attend Kincardine hearing, oppose nuclear waste disposal site
- Little Current Lions celebrate 75 years
- Wiky chief, council pass Children’s Bill of Rights
- Mindemoya now hosts new Credit Union branch
- Freezing rain likely Wednesday
- Sheg First Nation chooses Richard Shawanda as chief
- Island athlete lands full university scholarship
- Ontario Geological Survey raises spectre of fracking on Manitoulin Island
27-year-old male charged with sexual assault
LITTLE CURRENT–On October 10, 2013 members of Manitoulin Island Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) began an investigation into a reported sexual assault which occurred in Little Current on October 9, 2013.
As a result of assistance received from the OPP Forensic Identification Services (FIS) Unit, the OPP has arrested and charged a 27-year-old male from Little Current with one count of sexual assault and one count of assault contrary to the Criminal Code.
The male was held in custody until a bail hearing in Gore Bay on Friday, October 11. The OPP will not be releasing his name in order to protect the identity of the victim.
“The general public is not in any danger,” said Sergeant Mike Patterson of the OPP, noting that the accused was known to the victim.